.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Making a Difference…

There are times in my career, where I feel that I am not making a difference. One schedule change after another… “NO MORE SCHEDULE CHANGES!!!” I have even found myself writing on my whiteboard. Too many credit checks, that I find myself dreaming about (ummm…have nightmares about) doing them. I often feel that one day is not much different than the rest. I wanted a career where I felt like I was doing something big, making life better for others… I get sad when I feel like it is not happening with my position as a High School Guidance Counselor. I wonder if I have gone down the right path… then I run into a current student at the mall, who is with their mom, and they get excited to see me. And when we walk away from each other, I hear them tell their mom how much I have helped them, and how much I care. Can’t help but smile as think about it :) Then I have had those run-ins with former students who many would thought would never make it… but I did, and because they didn’t get sick of me constantly reminding/encouraging them they that needed to get credits made up, and they worked their butts off and they GRADUATED … and they randomly see me with my sister and mom on a Saturday afternoon at Shopko. They tell them how much I helped them get to graduation and are now able to go to the college they have always wanted to go to! And say they could not have done it without me. I can’t help but have a little pride. Or the students who’s countenance has changed in the past year, because they tell me no one has ever believed in them, like I have, and they now believe in themselves and it shows! Beaming, ever so slightly.

Okay Okay, so maybe I am making a difference, one schedule change at a time…

No comments: